Chicken FajitasJuly 2, 2012
Growing up we had chicken fajitas pretty frequently. Often we used a fun little fajita kit. The other day I had a hankering for fajitas and thought to myself, “hmm, I wonder what is actually in fajita seasoning?? It would be really cool to just make my own.” A little sleuthing and here’s what I came up with (and it is darn tasty too).
You will need:
- 1 lb chicken breast, diced
- 2 bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 T cornstarch
- 2 t chili powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t sugar
- 3/4 t chicken bouillon
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t cayenne
- 1/4 t cumin
- 1/4 t ground oregano
- 2 limes, juiced
- Tortilllas, lettuce, shredded cheese and salsa
Then you will…
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook the chicken over medium heat until just starting to turn golden. Add the peppers and onion and cook until just starting to turn tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine well the cornstarch, chili powder, salt, paprika, sugar, bouillon, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, cumin and oregano.
- Stir the spice mixture into the chicken mixture. Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add in the lime juice and stir.
- Serve with tortillas, cheese, lettuce and salsa.