Cherry Hazelnut SconesMay 13, 2012
These are a fun breakfast treat (or a snack!). I really like them served warm with jam and clotted cream, which are both nice additions to the drier texture of scones.
You will need:
- 3 c flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 orange, zested
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground ginger, scant
- 1 1/2 sticks cold butter, cut into pea size pieces
- 1 c dried cherries
- 1/2 c toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 c cream
Then you will…
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, citrus zest, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Add in the butter and use your fingers to mix into the dry ingredients until a coarse meal forms.
- Mix in the cherries and hazelnuts.
- Mix in the heavy cream and combine it to form a dough.
- Form the dough into a 1-inch thick circles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 17 to 18 minutes, just until lightly golden on top.