Beer Can ChickenFebruary 25, 2012
This is a really easy way to roast a chicken and keep it juicy. I cooked it in the oven with a skillet, but you could also put over indirect heat on a grill (with a drip pan underneath).
You will need:
- 2 T garlic powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T ground coriander
- 1 T paprika
- 1 T salt
- 1 T pepper
- 2 T hot sauce
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4-lb) chicken
- 1 (12-oz) can of your favorite beer
Then you will…
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drink half of the beer to get started.
- In a small bowl, stir together the spices (garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper).
- Mix in the hot sauce and olive oil.
- Rinse the chicken in cold water and trim of any excess fat and skin.
- Rub it the spice mixture all over the chicken, under and over the skin.
- Sit the chicken on the beer can with its legs at the bottom and wings at the top.
- Place the beer can chicken in the middle of the skillet and roast 20 minutes per pound, about 90 minutes, until the juices run clear.
- Allow the chicken to rest at least 10 minutes before carving.