Skillet Apple and Pear CrispFebruary 3, 2012
This recipe is based on one by James Boyce. I cut down the topping and made a few other tweaks that I think you will enjoy as much as I did. This is definitely a comfort dessert, good for cold nights with friends or family. You could serve with some vanilla yogurt or ice cream if you wanted.
You will need:
- 3/4 c brown sugar, packed and divided
- 1/4 c flour
- 1/4 c old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 c walnuts
- 3 t cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 4 T cold butter, cut into cubes
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1/4 t ground cardamom
- 1/4 c honey, scant
- 2 T whiskey (optional)
Then you will…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a cast iron skillet (preferably 12-inch).
- Combine 1/2 up of the brown sugar with the flour, oats, walnuts, 1 t cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter in a food processor.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the apples, pears, remaining brown sugar and cinnamon, cardamom, honey and whiskey (if using).
- Pour the apple filling into the prepared skillet. Top with the crumb mixture.
- Bake 1 hour, until bubbling and golden.