Italian Veggie SubJanuary 23, 2012
This is a spin-off of a classic Italian sub minus the meats, which while delicious also do not make it the lightest of sandwiches. Here you add artichoke hearts to the filling to make it heartier. Yumm! If you are bringing this to work/school, leave the filling and the bread separate until ready to eat to avoid soggy sandwiches!
You will need:
- 1/4 c red onion, thinly sliced and chopped
- 1 can (15.5 oz) artichoke hearts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 t dried oregano
- Hot banana peppers, chopped and included to taste (optional)Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 crusty loaf of bread, like a whole-grain baguette
- Margarine and pinch of garlic powder
- 1/2 c provolone or swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 c cabbage, shredded
Then you will…
- In a medium bowl, stir together the red onion, artichoke, tomato, vinegar, oil and oregano in a medium bowl. Mix in the hot peppers if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your broiler.
- Cut bread into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally and pull out about half of the soft bread from each side. Lightly butter with margarine and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Place the bread on a baking tray and broil until just starting to turn golden.
- Sprinkle the bread with the cheese and return to oven to melt.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread on the artichoke mixture and top with the cabbage.
- Cover with the bread tops. Serve immediately.