Roasted Eggplant SalataJanuary 7, 2012
When my mom and I were in Greece, we ate quite a bit of melitzanosalata or eggplant salad. It was delicious. We tried to recreate it over the holidays, which is the recipe you will find below. It’s not quite the same as what we had during our travels but it is a great side or appetizer.
You will need:
- 2 medium eggplants
- 6 cloves of garlic, lightly cracked and with skins on
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/4 c fresh parsley, minced
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Then you will…
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Roast the eggplant in the baking dish until the skin is soft and wrinkly, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Place the garlic clove (with their skins on) in a small baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast for about 15 minutes or until fragrant and just turning golden. Remove the skins and reserve the garlic oil. On a small cutting board, use the broad side of a butcher’s knife to turn the garlic into a paste by scraping back and forth.
- Remove the eggplant from its skin.
- Combine the eggplant, roasted garlic, garlic-infused olive oil and lemon juice in a large bowl. Mash together (or use an immersion blender if you prefer a smoother dip).
- Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper. If the consistency seems too thick, consider adding a bit more olive oil.
- Serve with pita chips or crackers.