Red Wine Pot RoastDecember 17, 2011
This is slow cook recipe, which means you can throw it all together in the morning and come home to a delicious dinner with relatively little effort. It is great served with mashed potatoes and carrots.
You will need:
- 4-lb roast, trimmed of as much fat as possible
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t cracked pepper
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/2 t basil
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1 c red wine
- 2/3 c ketchup
- 3 T soy sauce
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 3 T butter (optional)
- 3 T flour (optional)
Then you will…
- Pat the roast dry with a paper towel.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper, oregano, basil and garlic powder. Rub the spice mixture onto both sides of the roast.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown both sides of the roast, about 4-5 minutes each side.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine the red wine, ketchup, soy, mustard, garlic and brown sugar.
- Top the roast with the sliced onion and pour the sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Remove the roast for serving.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium sauce pan. Mix in 3 tablespoons of flour. Add the sauce from the cooker and whisk together. Allow to simmer until thickened.