Mini Crab CakesDecember 3, 2011
These little guys make a great party appetizer. They look pretty fancy, but they are relatively simple to put together. They are good warm and at room temperature. So versatile! The only thing special you will need to make these is a mini muffin tin.
You will need:
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 c Parmesan, shredded and divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1 t zested orange peel
- 1/2 t zested lemon peel
- 4 t + 2 T fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 t salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 oz lump crab, picked over for shell and patted dry
- 1 c panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 c butter, melted
Then you will…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously spray mini muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat the cream cheese in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and the egg. Beat to blend.
- Beat in the sour cream, citrus zest, 4 t of the chives, salt and cayenne.
- Fold in the crab.
- In a small bowl, toss together the panko, remaining 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, and remaining 2 T of chives.
- Drizzle in the melted butter and toss with a fork until evenly moistened.
- Press 1 round tablespoon of the crumb mixture into each muffin cup.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the crab mixture on top.
- Sprinkle another teaspoon or so of the crumb mixture on top.
- Bake until golden and set, about 30 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before gently running a knife around the sides and lifting out the mini crab cakes.