Apple CobblerNovember 3, 2011
Some friends and I went apple picking last weekend, which means bags of delicious hand-picked apples. To celebrate fall, we had a Sunday dinner that ended with this cobbler. It’s not too sugary, and the apples will still be a bit crisp at the end of the baking.
You will need:
- 5 c apples, peeled & sliced (1 apple usually yields about 1 cup)
- 1 c sugar, divided
- 2 T + 1/2 c flour, divided
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 c water
- 3 T butter, softened and divided * Topping: * 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 T milk
Then you will…
- Preheat oven to 375. Lightly coat a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine apples with 1/2 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, vanilla and water.
- Spread apples in the prepared pan. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Drop batter across the top of the apples. Batter will spread slightly during baking.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm with yogurt or ice cream.