Olive Oil Orange CakeAugust 16, 2011
This is a special dessert that I also saw in the Mediterranean grilling article of BA. The candied oranges and pistachios are great with the olive oil cake, and the extra effort it takes to make this one is worth the excitement on everyone’s face when you serve it. Bring on the celebration!
You will need:
- 1 1/2 c sugar, divided
- 3/4 c honey
- 3 t ground cardamon, divided
- 3 c water
- 1 small orange, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2/3 c plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 t grated orange zest
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Chopped pistachios
Then you will…
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring 1 cup of the sugar, honey, 2 teaspoons of the ground cardamom, and the water to a boil in a medium heavy saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add orange slices to the syrup. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, turning orange slices occasionally, until tender and syrup is reduced to 3 1/4 cups, about 40 minutes.
- Arrange orange slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 9″ cake pan with olive oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour with the baking powder, remaining teaspoon of cardamom, salt and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, beat 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 c olive oil for one minute. Beak in egg yolks, then the flour mixture.
- In another medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup of sugar until firm peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into batter just to blend.
- Transfer to prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes and then remove from pan.
- Pierce hot cake all over with a fork.
- Slowly drizzle 3/4 cup of the warm honey syrup over the top. When it is absorbed, slowly pour another 3/4 cup of the syrup over the top.
- Arrange candied orange slices on top and sprinkle with pistachios before serving.
- Cut into wedges and serve with extra syrup.