Mushroom Ragu with Parmesan PolentaJune 17, 2011
Some friends recently came to visit, and one typically eats vegetarian while the other is a meat-eater. I wanted some that made everyone go back for more, so I made a mushroom ragu over cream, Parmesan polenta. It was a total hit!
You will need:
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz shitaake mushrooms, sliced (and de-stemmed)
- 1 T fresh sage, chopped
- 2 t fresh thyme, de-stemmed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 c milk
- 2 c vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 c ground polenta
- 1 c Parmesan, grated
- In a large sauce pan, bring the milk and stock to a boil with bay leaves.
- Remove the bay leaves before whisking in the polenta.
- Reduce heat and simmer until thick, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a nonstick skillet, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and saute 5 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and saute until veggies begin to caramelize.
- Stir in the sage and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with the ragu on top of the warm polenta.