Summer Squash GratinJune 12, 2011
Simple and tasty. Enjoy!
You will need:
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 large summer squash, sliced into 1/4″ rounds (and halved if particularly wide)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 1 and 1/2 T butter, divided
- 1/2 t ground mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 2 c cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 c light sour cream
- 1/2 c bread crumbs
- 1/4 c Romano cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 8×8 casserole dish (roughly 2-quarts).
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the squash, onion and one clove of garlic for about 5 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Stir in 1/2 T butter along with the mustard, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar and sour cream.
- Pour the squash mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in the skillet.
- Add the garlic and saute about 1 minute. Stir in the bread crumbs and lightly toast.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the shredded Romano.
- Top the squash mixture with the bread crumbs.
- Bake 25 minutes, or until bubbly and toasty!