Chicken Tikka MasalaMay 10, 2011
One of my favorite Indian dishes is chicken tikka masala. This version isn’t quite like what you’d get out at a nice restaurant, but it’s got some delicious flavors mixed in with the yogurt sauce.
You will need:
- 1.5 lb chicken tenders
- 1/4 c plus 1 T olive oil
- 2 T fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 t salt, divided
- 3/4 t cayenne pepper, divided
- 1/2 t dry mustard powder, divided
- 1 c plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 t garam masala
- Place the chicken tenders in a large, sealable plastic bag (I used a 1 gallon bag).
- In a measuring cup, combine 1/4 c olive oil with 1 T lemon juice, 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t cayenne, and 1/4 t mustard powder. Whisk to combine.
- Pour over the chicken and toss to coat. Seal and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt with the garlic, ginger, garam masala, 1 T olive oil, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t cayenne, and 1/4 t mustard powder. Still to mix well.
- Add to the chicken mixture and toss to coat. Seal and refrigerate for 3 hours, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375. Prepare grill pan or grill, brushing lightly with olive oil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grill chicken with the marinade still clinging until dark brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to the prepared baking sheet and roast until the chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with warmed tomato-onion chutney (see next recipe!). Also great as kebabs with toasted pita.