Chocolate Banana BreadMay 7, 2011
I almost always have some ripe bananas in my freezer, so when I open it and see more than 6, I know it’s time to make something with them. This is a chocolaty variation on banana bread that is not too sweet and is relatively low-fat. Yumm!
You will need:
- 1 3/4 c flour
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c buttermilk (easy substitute: stir in 1 T lemon juice to a cup of milk; let sit 5 minutes; stir and use as buttermilk)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 1/2 c mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a loaf pan (9×5) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Stir in the mashed banana and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes to one hour, or until cooked through.