Spinach Artichoke BreadMarch 18, 2011
This one comes from Cooking Light, but there is nothing about the taste that screams “I’m good for you!” It comes out creamy on the inside and crispy on the outside, and it has all the best parts of spinach and artichoke dip. This is a great recipe for a party appetizer or side!
You will need:
- 1 c (4 oz) crumbled feta cheese (I used fat-free)
- 1/3 c (3 oz) low-fat cream cheese (I used a whipped cream cheese to make it lighter and easier to mix)
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg white
- 1 refrigerated pizza crust (can or fresh – I used a fresh whole wheat herb that I’d made)
- Fresh grated Parmesan for topping, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray).
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the feta, cream cheese, oregano, salt, artichoke, spinach, garlic and egg white. Stir to mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the pizza dough into a rectangle about 8×12 inches.
- Spread the filling over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Beginning with a long edge, roll up the bread like a jelly-roll.
- Pinch seams and ends to seal closed.
- Place roll, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet. Cut diagonal slits on top of the roll to reveal filling, using a sharp knife.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- If desired sprinkle with the Parmesan. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.