Smokey Almond CrumbleMarch 1, 2011
The other day I picked up some almonds for snacking. Unfortunately (for me), I didn’t realize that they where smoked! The smokey flavor was good, but it was a bit more than I wanted on its own. So I chopped them up and added a little bit of caramelized sugar to make a yummy almond crumble. It’s sweet mixed with the smoke and is fun to snack on or sprinkle on top of yogurt or ice cream.
You will need:
- 2 c smoked almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 4 T water
- Preheat the oven to 400. Spread the chopped almonds on a baking sheet and toast for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant and starting to turn golden. Set aside to cool.
- Grease a second baking sheet with butter.
- In a heavy-bottom saucepan , mix together the sugar and the water. Make sure there are no extra crystals on the edges or your sugar won’t caramelize right.
- Heat on medium without stirring until it comes to a boil. As it starts to turn golden (about 10 minutes), mix in the nuts. Spread on the buttered sheet and allow to cool.