Baked Pumpkin OatmealFebruary 21, 2011
Ever since I saw a variation of this recipe by Iowa Girl Eats, it’s been on my list of dishes to make at home. It’s full of delicious pumpkin and comes out warm and creamy. I love that it’s a cross between pumpkin pie and oatmeal with all the benefits of both — not too sweet, not too squishy. This recipe makes two individual portions, so you can share with a friend or a loved one or have breakfast ready for the microwave tomorrow!
You will need:
- 1 c old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 c low-fat milk
- 1 c pumpkin puree
- 7 t brown sugar, divided
- 1/8 t salt
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground ginger, scant
- 1/4 t ground cloves, scant
- 1/4 t vanilla extract
- 2 T chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 375. Prepare two individual serving ramekins with non-stick cooking spray; each will need to hold about a cup and a half of oatmeal.
- Combine oats, milk, pumpkin, 5 t brown sugar, salt, spices and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Stir until mixed well. Oatmeal will be slightly soupy.
- Pour oatmeal into the prepared containers and bake for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the remained 2 t brown sugar with the nuts. Sprinkle the nut crumble on top of the partially baked oatmeal and bake for another 10-15 minutes.