Banana Nut Oatmeal BreadJanuary 29, 2011
This is a variation on a recipe by Cooking Light for an oatmeal banana bread. It’s low-fat and delicious. Like any banana bread, you can leave out the nuts. Instead, mix in whatever you have in your pantry from dried currants to chocolate chips to coconut flakes!
You will need:
- 2 c ripe banana, mashed (3-4 bananas)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c low-fat milk (I used some soy milk)
- 7 T vegetable oil
- 1 c packed brown sugar
- 1 c oats
- 1 T baking powder, scant
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/8 t salt
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 2 c flour (I used 1/2 c whole wheat and 1 1/2 c all-purpose)
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the banana, eggs, milk and oil.
- Stir in the brown sugar and oats.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Whisk in the flour and nuts, just until mixed through and moistened.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake an hour and 10 minutes or until set in the center.
- Cook 10 minutes on a rack before removing from the pan.