Pumpkin-Chocolate Cookie BarsNovember 24, 2010
This year I am sadly not hosting Thanksgiving dinner at my house. Instead I will be hopping on a 6:00 a.m. flight to the midwest for some family time. Because I’m flying, I opted to pack up some Thanksgiving-inspired cookie bars. You could make these as traditional cookies, but they are fun as little bites too!
You will need:
- 1 c butter or margarine (at room temperature)
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 c pumpkin puree
- 1/2 t almond extract
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t ginger
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- Dash of ground cardamom
- 3/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 c semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9×13 baking dish with foil and lightly grease with nonstick spray.
- Cream together the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat in the egg, pumpkin puree and the extracts.
- Stir in the salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom.
- Mix in the flours just until combined.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter in the prepared pan. Bake until fluffy and golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Cool on a rack before cutting into squares for serving.