Plumicot BarsNovember 22, 2010
These chewy, fruity bars are a great mid-afternoon snack full of energy. They will set as they cool so don’t worry if they seem a little soft right out of the oven. I used chopped dried apricots and plums, but you can mix in whatever dried fruits make your mouth water. Try them with raisins, cherries, figs and more! If you are feeling adventurous, consider adding in a little crystallized ginger too!
You will need:
- 2 c dried fruit, chopped
- 1 c old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c packed brown sugar
- 3/4 c chopped nuts (I used walnuts, but use what’s in your pantry from hazelnuts and almonds to pecans)
- 1/4 t salt
- 3/4 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 1 stick unsalted butter or margarine, melted
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9×9 baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl, mix together the fruit, oats, flour, brown sugar, nuts, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Stir in the melted butter and the extracts. (Note: if the mixture seems dry and crumbly, add in extra margarine or a little water just until it starts to hold a dough shape).
- Press the mixture into your greased pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until golden about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack.