Cinnamon ApplesauceNovember 5, 2010
This is seriously simple. This is seriously tasty. You will LOVE it. It’s a great way to use up leftover apples from that trip to the orchard or a bag from the market that was on sale…or even the random apples left in your fruit drawer. I made mine in my crockpot, but you can also use a heavy pot with a lid and cook the apples over low heat on the stovetop. In the end, you should have about 3 cups of sauce.
You will need:
- one bag (3 lb) apples — I used Gala today, but really they are all delicious
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Peel, core and quarter the apples. Place them in the crockpot and sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Cook, covered, on low heat for 5 to 6 hours. The apples will become fall apart tender and slightly caramelized. You usually won’t even have to break them up at all with a wooden spoon; although you could to speed them up a bit.
- If you don’t want cinnamon sauce, stop! Your sauce is finished, unless you decide to blend it into smooth applesauce.
- If you want cinnamon delish, then add in a cinnamon stick about an hour before your want to stop. Remove before serving.
Note: the applesauce will keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge.