Buffalo Lettuce WrapsOctober 28, 2010
This makes a great dinner or a wonderful party snack. If you use endive leaves for “cups,” your guests will be able to pick up the little spoons and enjoy easily! I modified this from a Rachael Ray idea to cut back on the added sugar. I also used twice the celery as she did and cut out the shredded carrots.
You will need:
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 lb ground chicken (or you could use turkey)
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c + 1 T hot sauce
- 1 c tomato sauce
- 1 c chicken stock
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 c blue cheese crumbles
- 2 dill pickles, chopped
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce or 4-5 heads of endive
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, non-stick skillet. Add the chicken and break up slightly; allow to cook 5 minutes.
- Mix in the celery, onion and garlic. Continue cooking another 8 minutes, stirring occasionally as the mixture begins to brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, tomato sauce and stock.
- Stir the sauces into the chicken mixture. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce is reduced to the desired consistency.
- Serve with the blue cheese and chopped pickle.