Stuffed PeppersOctober 24, 2010
The other night my mom was telling me all about the stuffed peppers she was making that night for dinner. We only had them once in awhile at home growing up, but they are sort of a dressed up meatloaf. Any extra stuffing mixture can be put into a loaf pan and baked alongside the peppers. Here’s my version, inspired by my mom.
You will need:
- 4 bell peppers, mixed colors
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cubanelle pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 4 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 t paprika
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1 t thyme
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1/2 t red pepper
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 pkg (4 oz) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pkg “Simply Potatoes” shredded hashbrowns
- 1/2 c tomato sauce
- Cut the tops off of the bell peppers. Stand them up in an 8×8-inch baking dish. Reserve the tops.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the ground turkey and start to brown.
- Chop the tops of the bell peppers, and combine with the chopped cubanelle, onion and mushrooms.
- Add the chopped veggies into the skillet with the beef. Continue to brown and cook.
- Mix in the spices.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Allow the turkey mixture to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix in the feta and potatoes to the turkey mixture.
- Stuff the peppers, and top with the tomato sauce. Add a little water or stock to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, or until the peppers are starting to soften.