Herb polentaSeptember 14, 2010
This goes well with the bistecca too (or with gumbo…just wait for it!). Polenta is a boiled ground corn dish popular in Italy; it’s very similar to grits.
You will need:
- 2 large onions, cut into 3/4-inch slices and skewered
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 4 c broth
- 4 c water
- 2 c quick-cooking polenta
- 3 T fresh basil, minced
- 3 T fresh parsley, minced
- 3/4 c fresh Parmesan, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Brush the onions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- On a grill or grill pan, cook the onion skewers until tender and browned (about 10-15 minutes).
- Remove from grill and toss with the balsamic vinegar.
- Meanwhile bring the broth and water up to a boil. Whisk in the polenta until smooth.
- When it reaches the right consistency (about 3-5 minutes), remove from heat.
- Stir in the herbs and cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with the balsamic grilled onions.