German Blitz TorteJuly 31, 2010
This recipe comes from my Aunti Irma, who was a fantastic cook. You can make the cake as one rectangular sheet or as many as 3 layers! I love using a mix of berries, especially in the summer. In the fall, you could add a little bit of chopped cranberries to the meringue! You will love that it’s a pretty easy cake that advances the idea of strawberry shortcake and looks extra fancy for parties.
You will need:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1½ c sugar
- ½ c butter
- ¼ c milk
- ½ c flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 2 t vanilla
- ½ c nuts, chopped
- ½ c heavy cream, whipped
- 1 pt fresh strawberries, sliced (or whatever berries look best)
- Cream ½ c sugar with the butter.
- Blend in beaten egg yolks then add milk and flour alternately. Add baking powder and 1 t vanilla.
- Place mixture in 2 buttered 8-inch cake tins.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; add 1 c sugar and continue beating while adding 1 t vanilla and the chopped nuts.
- Spread half of this meringue over each layer in cake tins.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
- When cool, spread 1 layer with half of the strawberries and whipped cream; place second layer on top and top with remaining berries and cream.