Key Lime PieJuly 20, 2010
Even if you don’t think you like key lime pie, try this one out (and if you still don’t…give the extra to me!). I adapted this from a 2003 Gourmet recipe, but it is still one of the easiest pies to put together plus its tartness seems to yell “SUMMER!”
You will need…
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 1 can (14-oz) fat-free condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 – 3/4 c key lime juice (to taste)
- Whipped cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the condensed milk and egg yolks.
- Whisk in 1/2 c of the key lime juice. Add up to another 1/4 c by the tablespoon. If you like extra tart, use the whole 1/4 cup. If you want slightly more mild, try one or two tablespoons. The mixture will thicken slightly as you blend.
- Pour filling into the crust and bake for 15 minutes. The pie may still look and feel soupy when you take it out of the oven. It will firm up as it cools.
- Allow it to cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 8 hours until completely set.
- Serve topped with whipped cream.