Black Bean SaladJuly 13, 2010
A bunch of co-workers and I recently got together on a Saturday for a Latin-inspired lunch. One of the dishes was this black bean salad that a co-worker adapted from Simply Recipes. I wouldn’t call myself one who typically enjoys black beans when they are so “naked,” but this salad had oodles of flavor. It’s especially nice in the summer when you can use fresh corn!
You will need…
- 1 can (15-oz) can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained (or 1 1/2 c freshly cooked black beans)
- 1 1/2 c frozen corn, defrosted (or fresh corn, parboiled, drained and cooled)
- 1/2 c green onions, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 c fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 – 1 t of sugar (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Make sure to rinse and drain the beans, if you are using canned beans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, corn, onions, jalapeño, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, lime juice and olive oil. Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill salad before serving. Adding the avocado right before serving will help keep it fresh and green!