Stuffed PortobelloMay 4, 2010
Sometimes I want something earthy and filling, like these portobello caps stuffed with veggies and topped with cheese. You can vary what veggies you throw in, and it will keep on being a crowd pleaser.
You will need…
- 3 large portobello caps (about 6 oz)
- 2 T butter
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 4 oz grape tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or run through a micrograter
- 6 or so stalks of asparagus, finely chopped
- 1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs (I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 c panko crumbs
- 1/2 c shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Remove the stems (if any) from the mushroom caps. Place the caps gill-side up on the baking sheet.
- Chop the stems and add them to a medium skillet with the butter. Add in the chopped mushrooms, tomatoes, scallions and garlic. When there’s very little liquid left, add the asparagus. Cook about another 5 minutes, or until the asparagus is just starting to turn tender.
- Remove from heat. Mix in the bread crumbs, panko and cheese. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Top each cap with the mixture and sprinkle with a little extra cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until the caps are cooked through and the filling is hot.