Crockpot CacciatoreApril 19, 2010
This meal is inspired by the Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook. Chicken cacciatore made enough appearances on our evening table growing up for it to be considered a staple at home. Putting all the pieces in the crockpot means you can spend all day with your family and friends and not in the kitchen. We served this up with a batch of egg noodles; just cook them and mix them right into the crockpot a few minutes before serving.
You will need:
- 1 can (16 oz) crushed tomatoes with juices
- 1 can (16 oz) diced tomatoes, drained (I used some with garlic etc. already mixed in)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
- About 2 lbs of chicken breast (I used pre-cut stir fry style for ease)
- 1 pkg (6 oz) baby button mushrooms, rinsed and halved
- 1 pkg (6 ox) baby bella mushrooms, rinsed and halved
- Pour the crushed tomatoes over the bottom of your crockpot.
- Add the onion, garlic, and peppers on top of the tomatoes.
- Add the chicken on top of the veggies.
- Add the mushrooms next, and then top with the can of drained diced tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours, or HIGH for 2 to 3 hours.
Note: If you want a thicker sauce, remove the chicken at the end. Mix together 2 T all-purpose flour with 2 T water and 2 T wine. Pour into the sauce, cover and cook on HIGH 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens. Recombine with the chicken and serve.