Spring Asparagus SaladApril 11, 2010
In honor of Spargelzeit (‘Asparagus Season’), this spring side dish was inspired by the latest Cooking Light. It was an easy dish to serve on Easter Sunday, because it doesn’t have to be served hot. It also makes delicious leftovers!
You will need…
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (I used a combination of green and white)
- 1/4 t salt + some to season water
- 2 T shallots, minced (roughly 1 medium-sized)
- 2 T white balsamic vinegar (would also be good with white wine or champagne vinegar)
- 2 T olive oil
- Rind of 1 lemon, zested
- 1/4 t fresh black pepper
- 1/2 c (2 oz.) Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1 pkg (5 oz.) spring greens, such as baby arugula
- Cook the asparagus in salted, boiling water about 2 minutse or until just starting to turn tender.
- Drain and rinse under cold water; drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 1/4 t salt, shallots, vinegar, olive oil, lemon zest and pepper.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Combine the asparagus with the spring greens and toss with the dressing.