Spinach and Apple SaladApril 7, 2010
Over Christmas break, my parents invited their new neighbors over for a potluck dinner. One of the women from across the street brought this salad with its delicious combination of maple, apples, nuts and spinach. Plus it’s got goat cheese! I believe she picked it up from a recent Southern Living. You really can’t go wrong with this one.
You will need:
- 1 pkg (6 oz.) pecans (halved or whole)
- 2 T butter, melted
- 3 T sugar
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 1/8 t curry powder
- 1/8 t salt
- 1/8 t ground red pepper
- 1/3 c cider vinegar
- 2 T pure maple syrup
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 2/3 c olive oil
- 1 pkg (10 oz.) fresh baby spinach, washed and de-stemmed
- 1 Gala apple, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pkg (4 oz.) goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 for the pecans.
- Stir together sugar, ginger, curry, salt and red pepper in a bowl.
- Toss pecans in butter. Add pecans to the sugar mixture and toss to coat.
- Spread in a single layer in a nonstick aluminum foil-lined pan.
- Bake 10-13 minutes or until lightly browned and toasted.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack and separate with a fork.
- In a medium-small bowl, whisk together the cider vinegar and the maple syrup, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Gradually whisk in the oil until well blended.
- Combine the spinach with the apple, onion and goat cheese in a serving bowl.
- Toss with the dressing. Sprinkle with the pecans.
Note: The pecans stay good for about 1 week, if stored in an airtight container!