Roasted Tomato PenneMarch 28, 2010
This is another Rachael Ray-inspired posting. What I like about this pasta is the roasted garlic and tomato sauce plus all the greens tossed in. It’s almost like combining a salad and noodles. Yumm.
You will need:
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 8-10 cloves garlic, cracked but left in their skins
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 4 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 c fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 c baby arugula, roughly chopped
- 1 c Parmesan, grated
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Spread the grape tomatoes on a cookie sheet. Put the garlic along one end.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook penne about 2 minutes short of fully cooked. Save 1 1/2 cups of the cooking water. Drain.
- Remove the roasted garlic from its skins; chop/mince into a paste and place in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups of cooking water. Mash the garlic into the hot water with a fork.
- Add the tomatoes and mash with fork until well combined. Toss with the penne.
- Mix in the basil, arugula, and cheese.