Brussels Sprout HashMarch 16, 2010
Another tribute to St. Patrick’s Day! This is a take-off on the many cabbage dishes that make their appearance this time of year. It’s quick side dish that’s perfect with corned beef or whatever you feel like serving up!
You will need:
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 16 oz brussels sprouts, ends cut off + cut lengthwise and then into thin strips
- 4 T olive oil, divided
- 1 T margarine
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 t ground mustard powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add onions and caramelize over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and place in a large bowl.
- Heat 1 T margarine in the same skillet. Add the mushrooms and caramelize over medium heat. Season and add to the bowl with the onion.
- Heat 3 T olive oil in the same skillet. Add the sliced brussels sprouts. Saute over medium heat until just starting to soften.
- Add the vinegar (stand back or you’ll get a face full of vinegary steam!) and mustard powder. Mix well.
- Add back the onion and mushroom. Heat through and season with salt and pepper as needed.