Roasted Veggie Pasta SaladMarch 14, 2010
This week I’m heading to training off-site, which means no access to a microwave for lunch! Of course, I didn’t think that through until it was Sunday night. Whoops! If you are like me, you are likely to have the ingredients for a pasta salad on hand most days of the week. Really all you need is some pasta, some sort of dressing, and some veggies to throw in (oh! and a little bit of cheese too!). You could make this super simple by defrosting frozen veggies and adding those to cooked pasta with dressing from the supermarket, or if you feel adventurous, try making your own vinaigrette and then roasting some fresh veggies. I had broccoli and carrots on hand, but this is delicious with just about any vegetable.
For the mustard vinaigrette, you will need:
- 1 1/2 t Dijon mustard
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 7 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 t honey
- 1/2 t lemon juice
- 1/4 t Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Then you will…
- Use a small jar or container with a lid. Add all the ingredients together, cover, and shake to emulsify.
- This will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks, so use any extra for salads!
For the roasted veggies, you will need:
- 2 c chopped veggies (I used a head of broccoli plus some baby carrots)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and cracked
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, taste
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Spread the veggies out on a baking sheet. Add in the garlic.
- Toss with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked through and starting to brown.
For the pasta salad, you will need:
- 1/2 box of whole wheat pasta (I used rigatoni)
- 1/4 c mustard vinaigrette
- 2 c roasted vegetables
- 1/4 c shredded cheese (I used Asiago)
- Cook the pasta according to the box in salted water.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the vinaigrette.
- Add the vegetables and the cheese.
- Serve at any temperature.