Winter BlondiesMarch 8, 2010
A great brownie is a wonderful treat, but sometimes you just don’t have any chocolate in the house (gasp!). If you have brown sugar on hand, fret not! You can whip up a sweet batch of blondies! These ones have toasted coconut and winter-y spices like nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. My friends thought they tasted like marshmallows, and they were definitely delicious hot out of the oven or cooled down.
You will need…
- 1 c (2 sticks) margarine, softened
- 1 c light brown sugar, packed (or dark, if that’s what you have on hand)
- 1 c white sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t ground nutmeg
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c coconut flakes, toasted if you’d like
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. If you don’t have parchment paper, be sure to grease the pan well!
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with the two sugars. Add in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Stir in the whole wheat flour.
- Add in the all-purpose flour.
- Mix in the coconut, if you want it!
- Spread the mixture in your baking pan. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the edges look set and golden. A toothpick in the middle should come out relatively clean. The blondies will continue to set as they cool.
- Share with friends!