Dulce de Leche Bread PuddingFebruary 22, 2010
Awhile back, a friend asked for a bread pudding recipe. This dulce de leche variation was one of the winners of the related poll! It may not be the most photogenic, but it was delicious. So tasty in fact, that I might have microwaved some for breakfast….
It is based on a recipe from Epicurious that caught my eye a few months back. I made my own dulce de leche, but you could use store bought if you didn’t want to take the time!
FOR THE DULCE DE LECHE
You will need…
- 2 c whipping cream
- 2 c brown sugar (dark will give you the classic color)
- 1 c sweetened condensed milk
- Combine whipping cream and brown sugar in a heavy medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and allow to reduce to about 2 cups, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk.
- Cover and chill to store.
FOR THE BREAD PUDDING
You will need…
- 1 loaf Challah bread, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices and then 1-inch cubes
- Cooking spray
- 1 c whipping cream
- 1 c fat-free half and half
- 1 1/2 c dulce de leche
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 T liquor (dark rum, cherry, etc.)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 c bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 T sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 glass baking dish.
- Spray bread cubes with cooking spray and spread on baking sheets.
- Bake 12 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool.
- Mix whipping cream, half and half, and dulce de leche in a heavy medium saucepan until blended and boiling. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and egg yolks together. Add liquor, vanilla and salt.
- Gradually whisk in the dulce de leche mixture — you want to do this slowly so you gradually heat up the egg and do not scramble them!
- Stir in the bread cubes. Allow to sit for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 T sugar.
- Bake until puffed and set, about 30-35 minutes. It might still look moist in the center.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes to finish setting.
- Serve warm with fresh whipped cream and extra dulce de leche sauce!