Curried Vegetable CouscousDecember 29, 2009
Couscous is a great grain; it’s ready in 5 minutes after sitting in a little bit of hot water AND you can dress it up in all sorts of ways. This dish was a big hit while I was home. It is great paired with the lamb köfte recipe from yesterday!
You will need:
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced (I used a couple handfuls of baby carrots)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 t curry powder
- 2 t cumin
- 13 3/4 oz. can broth (reduced-sodium and low fat chicken or veggie)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed several times
- 1/4 c raisins
- 2 T mango chutney
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- 2 t fresh ginger, grated (about 2-3 inches)
- 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 c couscous
- 3 T chopped fresh parsley
- Heat about 2 T oil in a large nonstick skillet until hot but not smoking.
- Add the onion and carrots; cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, curry powder, and cumin; cook for 1 mind to mix.
- Add the broth, chickpeas, raisins, chutney, vinegar, ginger, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, stir in the couscous, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes until the couscous is tender.
- Stir in the parsley and serve!
NOTE: When grating the ginger, cut off the skin first!