Winter Venison RoastDecember 7, 2009
A few weeks ago, I snagged some fresh venison from a coworker. I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do with it, but I knew that I had to be careful or it might end up gamey. Luckily this slow cooker roast came out delicious! I made it for my family post-Thanksgiving and, while my sister wasn’t so keen about Bambi, it tasted pretty freaking awesome.
You will need:
- 1 3-lb venison roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 T Worchestershire sauce
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 can (10.5 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 can (10.5 oz) condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 pkg sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 c red wine
- Salt and pepper
- Trim and wash the roast. Pat dry. Season with salt and pepper, and place in slow cooker.
- Add onions and garlic, and sprinkle with Worcestershire and soy sauces. Add a handful of mushrooms (reserve rest for later).
- In a small bowl, combine onion soup mix with condensed soups.
- Pour mixture over roast. Cook on low 6-7 hours.
- For last hour, add in remaining mushrooms plus the wine. Stir gently to mix well.