Curry Corn ChowderOctober 5, 2009
It’s finally fall, which means the perfect season for soups of all sorts. I had some end-of-the-summer corn in the fridge, so why not corn chowder? I’m also a sucker for a little bit of curry with the corn…something about the sweet and spiciness just makes me happy!
You will need:
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 6-8 small red bliss potatoes, chopped (or 1 large)
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 1 can corn kernels
- 3 cups of milk (I used 1%)
- 1 T curry powder
- Salt and pepper
- 4-5 ears of corn, kernels cut off (optional)
- grated cheddar (optional, garnish)
Then you can:
- Presoak the cut potatoes in water about 10 minutes; this will make them a little less starchy. Drain.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions, peppers and onions. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes just start getting tender.
- Stir in the flour and cook for another minute or 2. Add the corn with the liquid and mix until smooth. Add 1 cup of milk and stirr till smooth.
- Add the remaining milk and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or just about boiling.
- Add the curry, salt and pepper to taste. Add the fresh corn. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Enjoy topped with your favorite grated cheese!