Summer Tomato “Die and Go to Heaven” PieSeptember 14, 2009
Last week I was out in West Virginia, wild and wonderful. On my drive, I passed a great farm stand and couldn’t help checking it out! Everything I got was delicious, including some very tasty end-of-the-summer tomatoes. The other day someone was talking about tomato pies, and I thought I’d give it a shot since tomatoes won our most recent poll! It was a little juicy, so next time I’d do a better job of draining the cut tomatoes, but still very tasty! So tasty that one of my friends renamed this “Tomato Die and Go to Heaven Pie.”
You will need:
- 1 pie crust
- 4-5 large ripe tomatoes (yellow and red)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 T butter
- 1 ½ c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 – ¾ c low fat sour cream
- 3 T Italian seasoning
- 2 T garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 and prebake pie crust for 10 minutes. Poke with fork prior to cooking to help dough stay level in oven.
- Dice tomatoes and strain for at least 30 minutes. Get as much juice out as possible prior to cooking.
- Caramelize the onion in the butter.
- Combine the cheese and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put half of the tomatoes in the pie crust. Sprinkle with half of the Italian seasoning plus salt and pepper. Add the other half of the tomatoes and repeat with seasoning.
- Cover with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Top with the onions.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until bubbly and delicious!