Jamaican Chicken SoupSeptember 11, 2009
When you aren’t feeling great, chicken soup can make life better. When it’s cold and dreary out, chicken soup can make you smile. Almost all of the time, I’ve got homemade chicken stock in my freezer, so I can whip up some soup at a moment’s notice. I’m not saying that you can’t getting some pretty decent stock at the market, but I really really like the stock I get out of this Jamaican roast chicken recipe that has found its way into my recipe regulars. So YOU get a two-for-one: I’m gonna tell you how to make the roast chicken, and I’m gonna tell you how to make some über-delicious chicken soup.
JAMAICAN ROAST CHICKEN
- 1 roaster chicken with the giblets removed and excess fat trimmed
- 1/4 c + 2 T hot sauce
- 3 scallions, minced
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 t allspice
- 2 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- Mix ingredients into a paste. Rub over and under the skin.
- Bake at 350 for 90 minutes or until done. Baste periodically to keep chicken moist.
- Tastes great with roasted potatoes and carrots (you can throw them right in the roasting pan to soak up the spices and juices!).
- 1 roast chicken with the meat removed and set aside
- 1/3 large onion, cut into large chunks
- Handful baby carrots
- 3 ribs of celery, cut into large chunks
- 8-10 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add chicken bones, onion, carrot and celery to water in a large stock pot. I usually fill it with water till just below the halfway mark. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat 2 hours.
- Uncover and simmer until stock is reduced to right taste. This is usually about another 2 to 4 hours. Season if desired.
- Strain to remove chicken bones and veggies. (You could leave the veggies in, but I find it to be a pain to pick them out of the little chicken bones).
- Allow to cool before storing in tupperware. Leave a little space at the top of the container if freezing to prevent spills.
STOCK –> SOUP
- Leftover roast chicken, shredded or torn into little pieces
- 2/3 large onion, cut into chunks
- 2/3 c carrots, cut into pieces
- 4-5 ribs celery, cut into pieces
- 1/2 c pastina (optional)
- Add chicken, onion, carrots and celery to stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the carrots are tender.
- Add pastina or whatever pasta/rice you might want, and cook until just al dente.
- Serve and enjoy!