Coconut Dal with Steamed Broccoli & Brown RiceAugust 14, 2009
Since my surgery, I’ve been doing some research on how thyroids impact your metabolism and what (if anything) I can do to help keep my metabolism active without any medications. It’s an interesting topic to read up on, because there’s lots of fluff out there — and I’m not talking about the marshmallow kind!
I recently picked up a book on Ultrametabolism, which is supposed to be built on the study of how food, your lifestyle, and your genes interact. The author also published a few cookbooks to go along with the texts, so I figured why not try it out?
For this recipe, you will need…
- 2 c yellow split peas
- 1 (14 oz) can lite unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 c low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 T grated fresh ginger
- 2 t ground turmeric
- 1 t kosher salt
- 4 T chopped fresh cilantro (if desired)
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, trimmed and steamed
- 1 1/2 c raw brown rice, steamed
- Fresh lime wedges
- Rinse the split peas.
- In a large saucepan, place the split peas, coconut milk, vegetable broth, onion, garlic, ginger, tumeric, and salt.
- Simmer over medium heat until peas are soft, approx. 30 min.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top (if desired) and serve over rice with steamed broccoli and the lime wedges.