Zucchini-Basil SoupAugust 3, 2009
I have an über friend from Pittsburgh, who brought me a whole bunch of garden vegetables. This included four huge zucchini. I’d made some bread already and still had three left. Then I saw a recipe in Gourmet for a zucchini-basil soup. Here we go!
You will need:
- 2 pounds zucchini, trimmed and cut crosswise into thirds
- 3/4 c onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 4 c water, divided
- 1/3 c packed fresh basil leaves
- Julienne skin (only) from half of zucchini; toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and drain in a sieve until wilted, at least 20 minutes. Coarsely chop remaining zucchini.
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in a large heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped zucchini and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water and simmer, partially covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Purée soup with basil in small batches in a blender.
- Bring remaining cup water to a boil in a small saucepan and blanch julienned zucchini 1 minute. Drain in a sieve set over a bowl (use liquid to thin soup if necessary).
- Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve with julienne zucchini mounded on top.
This was super quick and easy, very healthy and, as you can see below, got top marks from my mystery taste tester #1!